January, a miserable month for us living in the northern hemisphere, was redeemed by some excellent crime fiction reading. I read 10 books for crimepieces and perhaps because there was a stong Scandinavian presence, the common theme seemed to be murders set to the backdrop of freezing winters. However, the highlight of my month was set in a much warmer climate, the Australian Desert. Gunshot Road by Adrian Hyland combined sparky writing with a great sense of place and one of the best female detectives around.
The books I read in January were:
2. The Circular Staircase by Mary Roberts Rinehart
3. The Winter of the Lions by Jan Costin Wagner
4. Believing the Lie by Elizabeth George
5. Gunshot Road by Adrian Hyland
7. The Mask of Glass by Holly Roth
8. The Final Murder by Anne Holt
9. 1222 by Anne Holt
10. Midwinter Sacrifice by Mons Kallentoft
Kerrie over at Mysteries in Paradise is hosting a meme summarizing the crime fiction recommendations for January 2012.